I have opted to bring in a few of my favorite dishes to a work potluck this year to honor Veteran’s Day! The key is low maintenance and quick to prep!
Fair Minded Mommy
No Bake Summer Berry Icebox Cake
Use fresh or frozen berries to make this easy layered dessert. Use strawberries, blueberries or raspberries. No matter how you slice it, it’s yummy!
- 19 oz graham crackers
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 (3.4 oz) packages Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 12 oz Cool whip (or homemade whipped cream)
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 oz white chocolate chips
- Beat cream cheese and dry pudding mixes in large bowl with mixer until blended.
- Gradually beat in milk.
- Gently stir in Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream, reserving ½ cup.
- Spread a thin layer of cool whip in a 9×13 pan just to coat the bottom.
- Layer 5 graham crackers across the center of the pan, then 2 more, breaking them as needed to fit around the top and bottom edges.
- Spread a layer of pudding mixture over grahams and top with a layer of blueberries and sliced strawberries.
- Place graham crackers on top of berries, then pudding mixture, then layer of berries again.
- Repeat the graham-pudding-berries layers 1 more time (3 times total) and you should reach the top of the pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight until the graham crackers have softened completely.
- When ready to serve, melt white chocolate chips in a bowl as directed on package and drizzle over dessert.
- You can use a spoon to drizzle it over the tops of the berries or you can put it into a small zip-top bag and snip of the corner for an easy “piping bag.”
Fresh Mozzarella, Avocado, and Tomato Salad
A splash of lemon and hint of refreshing mint brighten up the medley of red tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and ripe avocados in this colorful, sensational salad!
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) fresh mozzarella cheese pearls, drained
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cheese, basil, parsley and mint; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over tomato mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Just before serving, stir in avocados. Serve with a slotted spoon.
3/4 cup: 305 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.